Friday, July 12, 2013

" I just can't explain Lee's talent clearly enough, so I'm just going to urge you to read the book. " ~ Jackie


Using a range of landscapes and countries in each short story, Lee creates characters so wonderfully flawed that it's impossible not to feel for them when their fragile beliefs of romantic love, domestic bliss, or academic seclusion fail to provide them with the sort of force field they'd hoped for.

Jackie says:
"The remarkable Rebecca Lee manages to bring seven short stories into this slim volume.  That does not mean that the narrative is rushed or confusing--I've never read an author who can drop me into a story so easily and with such detail.   I entered into scenarios already in full bloom, yet I was able to grasp the what was going on, and how the drama was unfolding .   In some ways, it seemed like eavesdropping, yet I still felt like a part of every story.  I was a witness to these folks infidelities, jealousies, insecurities, sacrifices and was not depressed by their troubles because each story seemed to end with the sense of hitting a hard spot in life but seeing their way through it.  I just can't explain Lee's talent clearly enough, so I'm just going to urge you to read the book.  You won't be sorry. "

No comments: