Friday, July 19, 2013

"I had to read the entire collection just to see what bizarre/brilliant scenario Russell would create next." ~Lucy

I loved Karen Russell’s Vampires in the Lemon Grove. At first I picked up this book to just read a few stories, not having enough time for a novel. But I enjoyed each story so much that I had to read the entire collection just to see what bizarre/brilliant scenario Russell would create next.

We all know not to judge a book by its cover. But if you just look at the beautifully strange cover of her book you’ll get a sense of how cool this collection is. Bright yellow polka dots combined with a devilish gray bat pretty much captures the strange imagery and beauty of Russell’s prose.

Russell has received numerous accolades, many focusing on her young age, but the description of her I like best is that of a “breakneck demon writer” from the Los Angeles Times. Her imagination is vivid, surreal, and at times creepy. But it is marvelous and thoroughly entertaining. In her second story, Japanese women are tricked into becoming human silk worms. In another, readers are given instructions on how to tailgate in Antarctica from a bitter divorcĂ©. No matter what the situation, Russell manages to wow.

Now that I have read her short stories, I can’t wait to read her novel Swamplandia!

~ Lucy

No comments: