Wednesday, December 26, 2012

"I'm going to do my best to put this book in as many hands as possible. Yes, I think it is THAT important." --Jackie


What is The Bully Book? Part mystery, part tragedy, part comedy.

When the author was eleven, he was bullied. This book is loosely based on incidents that happened to him in sixth grade.

Eric Haskins, the new sixth-grade bully target, is searching for answers. And unlike many of us who experienced something awful growing up, he finds them. Though they may not be what he expected.

Originally self-published as an ebook by a member of Team Starkid, The Bully Book is now available in print and ebook editions.




Jackie says:
"This book pretty much blew me away.  It's disturbing to read, since half of the book (in alternating "chapters) is a book about being the star of sixth grade by mercilessly tormenting one classmate to gain status among the rest of the class.  The other half is a journal of what it's like to be that scapegoat, which they call 'The Grunt'.  Except this year's Grunt, Eric Haskins, isn't giving up to the bullies--he's trying to find more about them to stop them. He discovers that a Bully Book exists, and has been handed down for years.  And he needs that book to find out why he was chosen to be the Grunt (until now he'd been popular and had had a very easy time in school).  His detective work is brave and inspiring, and what he learns shocking.  This book is moving and what I think should be a must read for the 10-12 group, and their parents and teachers.  So many amazing discussions can come from the ideas in this book.  I was bullied when I was a bit older than Eric, and I wish I could go back and give this book to that version of myself--it might have changed my life.  But since I can't do that, I'm going to do my best to put this book in as many hands as possible.  Yes, I think it is THAT important."

No comments: