Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dispatches from the Field: Joe's Putting This One On His Favorites List

So I read this one in just over two days. I know it's already out, but thought I'd add my voice to the fray... Loved it. I was thinking this morning that this was definitely one of my favorite books this year...

In this imaginative and thought-provoking novel, Sena Jeter Naslund tackles the origins of the bible, of art, of humanity. No small topic, for sure, but she handles it with such an open eye for the possibility of the truth, it left me wondering what is it I really believe? As the title suggests, we do spend some time in a Garden of Eden of sorts, with a new Adam and Eve. Adam is a wounded (now healed) American soldier fighting in the unending war in the Mideast, and Eve is Lucy Bergmann, widow of an astrophysicist who may have discovered proof we are not alone in the universe. The book is part idyll, part adventure story, part scientific/religious caper. I couldn't get enough of it. It was very difficult to put down. The characters are written in such lovingly detailed strokes, they live beyond the page. The story is utterly believable, heart-wrenching and intensely thought-provoking. This would be an excellent book for a book club, as the topics are wide and well-done, and most everyone will have an opinion on them. An absolute must-read!

--Joe

No comments: