Monday, May 7, 2012

Heather Talks About Her Son And Children's Book Week


"I have worked at the Tattered Cover for 23 years – basically all of my post-college life. You might surmise from that information that I am a bibliophile of the highest order, and you'd be right. I love books. I love finding them, choosing them, immersing myself in them. I particularly love science fiction and fantasy, and all sorts of speculative, ironic, humorous fiction (think Tom Robbins and Christopher Moore). All of this is just a bit of background about me, as I offer my thoughts about the reading habits of my nine-year-old son in honor of Children's Book Week.

When I first became a mother, I couldn't wait for Jack to start reading. I imagined us sitting side-by-side on a comfy couch, each lost in our newest favorite book. I imagined him discovering Narnia and A Wrinkle in Time and The Lord of the Rings, and of course Harry Potter. I imagined my child with a book at all times, always needing something new to read, always wanting to go to the bookstore, please.

My husband and I read to Jack from the day he was born. We continued to read to him every night until he was able to read for himself, and now we read with him. Jack is an excellent reader, with above grade-level abilities and comprehension. He makes me proud. But, he has never been a big reader of fiction. He loved to have stories read to him (or told to him, straining my imagination at times), but when he chose his own books to read before bed, it was most likely a dinosaur encyclopedia or a Legos idea book or catalog. And reading before bed, his teacher-proscribed 30 minuets per day, was the only book reading he'd do.

Until we found Dinosaur Cove! The Dinosaur Cove series by Rex Stone captured Jack's attention the way no books had before. Not only are they about dinosaurs, with a great deal of factual, scientific information, they are also about two young boys going on grand, magical adventures without any parental supervision – through a time-travel cave! What's not to love? Unfortunately, there are only nine books in the series, and he finished them so quickly it left me scrambling to find the next big thing.

Luckily, a colleague of mine asked me if he would like funny books. He is a silly kid, so I thought he might, and she suggested the Dragonbreath books by Ursula Vernon. Another hit! No dinosaurs involved and he still loves them. Each book is a hilarious tale about Danny Dragonbreath, the only dragon in a school for reptiles and amphibians. He and his friends face the challenges of all kids – insecurity, bullying, school lunches – but they also tend to find themselves involved in great exploits with various mythological creatures! There are currently six books in the series, with a new one due this fall.

So, I needed a new series while waiting for the next Dragonbreath book. I once again asked my colleagues (the most knowledgeable book people around, of course) for suggestions and one series kept coming up: the Fart Powder books by Jo Nesbo. I could probably leave it at that, right? What nine-year-old wouldn't want to read a book called Doctor Proctor's Fart Powder? Nesbo (an award-winning writer of adult thrillers) has combined science, humor, mystery, and friendship into three awesome adventures for middle-grade readers. Jack finished them in record time, and now we are on the hunt again.

During Children's Book Week, many parents will be hearing the important message of reading to and with their kids – of encouraging a love for reading at an early age. And many, like myself will be searching for that one book, or genre that will hold their child's interest and, hopefully turn them into a life-long reader. Next on my list for Jack is The Phantom Tollbooth and maybe something by Roald Dahl... We'll see what sticks."


--Heather

No comments: