Monday, September 5, 2011

Cathy Talks About Why September 2011 is so Special for Tattered Cover

September 2011 is a landmark month here at the Tattered Cover.  We are celebrating 40 years in business!  The  Tattered Cover Book Store began in 1971 as a small store with only 950 square feet of retail space and two employees in the Cherry Creek North district of Denver.

I began my bookselling career in that little store in September of 1977, though little did I know then that it would be my career.  When Joyce Meskis, who purchased the store from the original owner in 1974, offered me a job back then, she asked if I would commit to a year at the store because the  training was very involved.  I agreed to the year,  though not  without some degree of trepidation, a year seeming to be a very long time to my very young self.  My now very middle-aged self has never looked back.  Career counselors in college don't mention bookselling when they are steering their charges into the job market but it's hard for me to imagine spending my working life occupied by anything as deeply  rewarding.   So here we are now, and
with the support of our wonderful customers, our locally owned business has grown over 40 years into one of the premier bookstores in America, with three expansive locations in the greater Denver area.

Beginning Monday, September 5, 2011, at all three Tattered Cover locations, customers will enjoy 40 days of discounts, give-aways, special offers and events, and more! The celebration will culminate on Saturday, October 15, with a party for customers at each store. Visit the Tattered Cover at www.tatteredcover.com to learn more about our 40 years in business, and our upcoming celebrations!

No comments: