Monday, April 22, 2013

Miki's Been On a Sedaris Binge

With anticipation and excitement building over David Sedaris’ newest book, Let’s Explore Diabetes With Owls*, I felt a nagging need to revisit some of Sedaris’ older works.  I took the plunge and got the Ultimate David Sedaris Audio Collection.  This collection includes Naked, Dress your Family in Corduroy and Denim, Holidays on Ice, Me Talk Pretty One Day, Barrel Fever, and Live at Carnegie Hall

Sedaris has always been able to invoke loud chuckles and chortles from me as I attempt to read silently on buses, airplanes, or book stores.  Listening to him narrate his own books is an entirely different beast.  There were points where I thought I might have to pull off of the highway to ensure the safety of fellow drivers.  I don’t know that I have ever laughed as hard or as often as I did during my time with this audio collection. 

If you have never listened to a Sedaris book, I highly recommend listening to the quintessential Sedaris story, “Santa Land Diaries” which is featured on the Holidays on Ice discs.  This story was one of my favorites when I read it, but now having listened to the recording, I don’t think there is a better way to experience this story than to hear Sedaris and his intonations delivering this epic Christmas tale.

I don’t think there is a single person in the world that could make a better delivery of his writing than Sedaris himself.  He is quick, hilarious, and belongs in a category all his own.  I can’t wait to read/listen to Let’s Explore Diabetes With Owls!

*Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls will be on our shelves tomorrow, April 23, 2013!



--Miki







No comments: