Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Miki says,"Now THIS is my idea of a fall read!"

"Now this is my idea of a fall read! There is nothing I love more than a book that really embodies the season. I always try to read something spooky and paranormal near Halloween.  The long dreary nights and cool biting wind just beg me to pick up a something witchy or vampiric.  It is so easy to be transported into these dark worlds this time of year.  Although the weather makes it easy to get into a book like Shadow of Night, Deborah Harkness makes it impossible to stop reading.  I absolutely fell in love with Diana and Matthew in A Discovery of Witches, but their return in Shadow of Night was fantastic.  When book one of the All Souls Trilogy left me drooling for  more, book two did not
disappoint.

Harkness begins
Shadow of Night with Matthew and Diana being thrust into 1510 and Matthew's violent past. It was so chock full of magic, mystery, and sensuality; I could barely breath during some chapters.  There are deamons, vampires, witches, poets.  Somehow, Harkness finds a way to weave all of this into actual historical events.  Not only does she create an amazing story, but she also makes all of this seem possible.  These novels have a perfect balance of realism and fantasy, fact and fiction.  I can't wait for the conclusion of this series!"

--Miki

No comments: