Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A New Release from Garth Stein!


This is a slightly updated re-release of Stein's first novel originally published in 1996
and out of print for some time. Don't expect any Enzo-like characters here--this book is TERRIFYING, a flat out, brilliantly crafted horror story. Stein is a "blood quantum verified" registered member of the Tlingit Indian Tribe of Alaska (his great-grandmother was full blooded Tlingit), and he has taken one of their more terrifying legends and brought it to the modern world.

This is a story about Kushtakas, otter spirit shapeshifters who steal souls from people found alone in the woods and waters near Klawock and Wrangell Alaska. Two years ago when Jenna's young son drowned in Thunder Bay, she had not heard the legends. But with her world falling apart around her in Seattle, Jenna decides to go back to Alaska and try to find peace. What she finds is a nightmare that leaves her fighting for her own life and soul. The writing in this book is masterful--I spent no small amount of time curled up in a ball keeping a wary eye on the windows and door locks while reading it. And the last 40 pages--I pretty much forgot to breathe. Yes, it's THAT good.

--Jackie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... I've got chills just reading your review. I'll have to check it out!

Unknown said...

Wow! I've seen this book on the web a lot. After reading your review, I just decided I must have it. Do you have copies at your store? If so, I'll be in before my weekend read time for sure.

Jackie said...

All three of our stores have copies, so come on in. In Lodo they are on Jackie's Corner and our Blog display table, while our Highlands Ranch and Colfax Avenue stores have it in the general fiction section. I'm so glad I was able to turn you on to such a wonderful read. Be sure to let us know that YOU think!