Saturday, September 18, 2010

As You Might Imagine, This Is a TC Favorite

Former comic-book seller Ivan "Van" Georg and stylish Francesca Aldo-Valbelli team to establish the Good Novel, a bookshop that will stock only masterpieces in fiction, which are selected by a secret committee of writers. At first, the warm welcome of the bookstore results in soaring sales. Then attacks in the press, the opening of rival bookstores, and attempts against the lives of committee members by persons unknown sour the atmosphere for the Good Novel's community of readers and writers. Cossé poignantly depicts characters who have turned to literature for solace against the pain in their lives, creates ongoing speculation as to the shadowy first-person narrator, and furnishes sly commentary about gatekeeping in the literary world. (From Publisher's Weekly)

"A Novel Bookstore is a deeply satisfying manifesto of book love and a sharp indictment of those who would use such love for their own evil purposes (profit, fame, to beat out the competition). " from Nina Sankovitch of the Huffington Post (read the whole article about book love here.)

2 comments:

Steph said...

I came across this book by accident while surfing Amazon for another book a few weeks ago. I thought it sounded excellent so I put it on my wish list. Since then, my boss at the indie where I work recommended it (not knowing I had found it and wanted it) and now you.

It's a sign. I have to buy it. I'll tell my husband it's all your fault why I need yet another book. :)

hungry reader said...

We'll happily "take the heat" for you finding a book you must have.