Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bookseller's Holiday Memories

Some of the many booksellers here at the Tattered Cover have graciously shared some of their holiday memories surrounding books. We begin to publish them today.

When I was very young we had a few Christmas books we pulled out every year. We had inherited them from older cousins who had outgrown them. I remember sitting with my little sister reading from Richard Scarry's "Animals' Merry Christmas". I was absolutely delighted to find this book still in print when I came to work here. It still makes me smile to see that book come through each year.

-Marian

And from Molly, of our Internet store:

I can remember being totally enchanted by my first pop-up book - a fantasy trip to Mars where an elaborate castle was depicted in paper with many levels and stairs. I spent hours walking my fingers and my tiny dolls up and down the stairs and hiding behind the pop-up features.

Now that I am an adult, I am mesmerized by Robert Sabuda's wonderful paper engineering and artistry. I have given several to my family and other adult friends. At the Tattered Cover, we keep them in the childrens' section, so they are still a secret from the many adults who would treasure them - Night Before Christmas Pop-Up Book, Dinosaurs: Encyclopedia Prehistorica, The Christmas Alphabet, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and others. They are super-special and unexpected delights. I recommend them as gifts for anyone!!

Thank you, Happy Holidays, and Keep on Reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These pop-up books are wonderful, and for pop-up lovers who want to try their hand at making their own, Tattered Cover Bookstore also carries "The Pocket Paper Engineer" workbooks which give step-by-step directions for each pop-up structure