Monday, June 30, 2008

Jackie's Summer Mystery Series Reading List

Summer time has always been about reading freedom for me--no classes dictating what I had to read when, etc. Plus time--loads of g-l-o-r-i-o-u-s time--for reading. My childhood summers were spent with the likes of Nancy Drew and Trixie Beldon. In my young adult years I followed James Patterson's Alex Cross through harrowing crime after harrowing crime. I got hooked on the prolonged joy of what I would call "series reading"--following the same set of characters through more than one book and adventure after adventure, reading them back to back so our "relationship" seemed seamless. I still do it today, though time isn't as plentiful in these grownup summers as it was back then (it's true what my folks said--time really DOES go faster as you get older)--Laurel K Hamilton's Anita Blake series has me in thrall, Laurie R King's Sherlock Holmes based mysteries are good friends, and the more innocent stories from Jennifer Chiaveri ni's E lm Creek Quilters or Jane Kirpatrick's stalwart settlers keep me coming back for more. There's a series for everyone, truly. So I thought I'd list 20 mystery (my genre of choice) series that you may, or may not, know about that would make great summer reads:
Scrapbooking Mysteries by Laura Childs (who also writes a Teashop Mystery series!)
Gay Vampire Mysteries by Dean James
Foodie Mysteries by Joanne Pence or Joanne Fluke
Veterinarian Mysteries by Lillian Roberts or Laura Crum or Georgetter Livingston
Southern Mysteries by Anne George or Patricia Sprinkle or Charlaine Harris
Egyptian Mysteries by Elizabeth Peters
Bed and Breakfast Mysteries by Mary Daheim
Knitting Mysteries by Maggie Sefton
Ministry Mysteries by Emilie Richards
Debutant Dropout Mysteries by Susan McBride
Psychic Eye Mysteries by Victoria Lane
Death on Demand Mysteries by Carolyn Hart
And so, so, so many more.
Happy Summer Reading!!!! -- Jackie

No comments: