Thursday, June 26, 2008

Colcannon at the Colfax Store This Saturday


A must see at the Tattered Cover Colfax Avenue!
Saturday, June 28th 10am

A few years back a striking Irish gentleman named Mick approached me about doing an event in our store. Well, I think he approached me, it was a few years back so I could be embellishing the story a bit. Anyway, I was given this CD to listen to, THE POOKA AND THE FIDDLER AND HAPPY AS LARRY (Colcannon, Oxford Road Records 2005). I took it home and returned to work the next morning happy as a kitten. 'THE POOKA' is traditional storytelling set to music, beautiful, mesmerising, music. I'd not heard anything like it before, yet it did bring back childhood memories of listening to Peter and the Wolf.

The performance was amazing. On October 15th, 2005, Mick arrived with the the entire crew of Colcannon: Jean, Brian, Mike, and Rod. The lower level of the old Cherry Creek store was filled with the young, the old and everyone inbetween. The entire audience was captivated as Mick and the instruments told their stories. Ooh horray!

Skipping forward to July 2006, we had just moved our store to the new Colfax Avenue location a month before. The dust had settled and it was time to celebrate. I gave Mick a call. I could not think of a better way to welcome our customers to the Tattered Cover Colfax Avenue than to have Colcannon bring in 'THE POOKA'. And I was right, they did it again. The entire Colcannon crew showed up (this time they brought me candy), filled the lower level, and enchanted the audience with their storytelling and music. By
this time, I was just smitten with the whole bunch. Did I mention that Mick used to work in the old theater that is now our bookstore? I call that a good match.

This week marks the two year anniversary of the Tattered Cover Colfax Avenue. And guess what? Yes, we're bringing Colcannon back to help us celebrate. I've already started humming along, skipping to work and dreaming of pookas. This is definitely a must see. The Colcannon crew will be at the Tattered Cover Colfax Avenue this Saturday, June 28th, at 10am performing THE POOKA AND THE FIDDLER. And I'll be there too, gushing over them and dancing along. Oh, and you can check out Colcannon on the web at www.colcannon.com.

For more information on this event, click here.
I hope to see you Saturday.

--Beth

No comments: