Saturday, April 5, 2008

National Poetry Month -- Sonnet 130

Bookseller Mindy is fond of this particular Shakespearean sonnet because "it both makes fun of being in love and the courtly love tradition and yet expresses tender love all at at the same time."


Shakespeare's Sonnet 130

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damask'd, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

--

Don't forget the Colorado Shakespeare Festival is arriving soon. From June 20 to August 16, be a part of one of the top three Shakespeare festivals in the nation! It is always great fun.


"Sonnet 130" can be found in many books, including
Shakespeare's Sonnets and Poems published by Washington Square Press in 2006. To purchase, click here.

No comments: