Wednesday, April 16, 2008

National Poetry Month - I Am My Master's Dragon


Bookseller Jocelyn G. submitted this poem as one of her favorites for children:

I Am My Master's Dragon

I am my master's dragon,
And my master treats me well,
He calls me when he wants me,
And I answer to his bell.
He feeds me puffs of pastry
To reward me for my deeds,
And according to my master,
I have all a dragon needs.

My master fails to notice,
Though I know that he is smart,
The incalculable sadness
Deep within my dragon heart.
But I am not complaining,
I've no sorry tale to tell,
I am my master's dragon,
And my master treats me well.

--

This poem is by Jack Prelutsky, and can be found in the book The Dragons Are Singing Tonight, published by Greenwillow Books in 1993. You may purchase it here.

No comments: