Thursday, December 16, 2010

Dom Testa Talks About What He's Been Reading In 2010






Dom Testa is the host of Denver's popular radio show "Dom and Jane Show" on MIX100. He is also the author of the Galahad science fiction series for young readers.

As in years past, my reading list for 2010 extended from fiction to non-fiction, adult to young adult, and from classics to contemporary. I love the blend, which keeps it interesting for all twelve months.

The non-fiction list included Michael Chabon’s Manhood For Amateurs, Robert Hilburn’s Corn Flakes With John Lennon, and Packing For Mars from Mary Roach.

Chabon is clearly one of the better writers in America, and the first half of this memoir was both interesting and entertaining. I felt it waned a touch in the latter chapters, but had me laughing out loud nonetheless.

The reminisces from Hilburn, a rock music critic, should have been more interesting, but he seems way too obsessed with Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen for my own tastes, while too many fascinating artists receive scant mention. That’s just me; I don’t worship at the altar of Dylan like some folks.


Roach is a fun writer, and I’m impressed by her ability to take on such diverse topics as death, sex, and outer space. This particular book appeals to my interest in space travel, and she dives right in with her uniquely humorous style. It’s fun to laugh while you learn.


I finished Stieg Larsson’s Millenium trilogy this year, knocking out The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest in about four days (which, given my schedule, is pretty good). No, the third volume isn’t as good as Tattoo or Fire - the first two tomes in this Swedish masterpiece - but that’s asking a lot. It still pulled me in; Lisbeth Salander is one of the best characters we’ve discovered in years.


Based on a recommendation from my son, I raced through two books in 2010 from David Benioff, and in the process discovered one of my new favorite writers. The 25th Hour is compelling in its portrayal of a man spending his final hours before heading off to prison, while City of Thieves is a beautiful tale of the horrors of war. In the latter, Benioff imagines the brutal life of World War II Russia and writes in such a way that you can’t pull yourself away, despite the graphic scenes and heartbreaking misery. I’m anxiously awaiting his next work.

I read a handful of young adult books, including a couple that walked through a post-apocalyptic world: Life As We Knew It, from Susan Beth Pfeffer, and Suzanne Collins’ fascinating Hunger Games. I was intrigued by the plot of Pfeffer’s tale, even though the premise was a bit farfetched (I mean, a meteor knocking the moon into a closer orbit?) Yes, I was late to the Hunger Games party, but I’m glad I finally showed up. I’ll tackle the remaining volumes in 2011.

Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book had a terrific premise (a little boy raised in a cemetery by ghosts...cool!). I also finished his satirical mythological classic, American Gods, which I loved. I could read Gaiman’s prose all day.


The classics this year included Bram Stoker’s Dracula and Daniel Defoe’s Robinson Crusoe. I read the horror novel in October, in celebration of Halloween, and found it intriguing but overly wordy. The tale of the castaway, however, was personally a letdown. I suppose my inner little boy wanted it to enthrall me, but I never felt that. It’s made me second-guess my plan to take up Treasure Island in 2011, even though I enjoyed Michael Crichton’s Pirate Latitudes this year.


Finally, some odds and ends. I breezed through Steve Martin’s Born Standing Up (not bad), Elmore Lenonard’s Unknown Man #89 (well-written, but scattered), Isaac Asimov’s The End of Eternity (a mind-twister), Scott Turow’s Presumed Innocent (excellent), and Stephen King’s Under The Dome (c’mon, Stephen...a 250 page story that’s bloated to 1000 pages?). Oh, and I re-read King’s On Writing, one of the best books on the subject, period.

My queue for 2011 is already a mile high, and I wouldn’t have it any other way! Plus, I have a couple of my own books planned for release in the coming year. In May I celebrate the release of The Dark Zone, the fourth book in my Galahad series for young adults. And Cosmic Storm, the fifth volume, should pop in November.

No comments: