Thursday, December 23, 2010

Diana Abu Jaber Guest Blogs About What She's Been Reading AND Writing

Diana Abu-Jaber is a Professor of Fiction, Film and Literature at Portland State University. She is the author of four novels: Origin, Crescent, The Language of Baklava and Arabian Jazz.







So first of all, a bunch of confessions and apologies, because what report would be complete without them? I realized that very few of my favorite reads of this year were actually published in 2010. I also realized that my of what I read is actually done in the name of research for whatever I'm working on. So while I spent a lot of time studying Fingerprint Analysis and DNA Research while writing Origin, I would probably not call it a favorite read....

So with those caveats out of the way, a handful of the books that I read and loved this year would include:

Let the Great World Spin
The music of his language, his imagery, his settings was absolutely gorgeous and, for me, this book long out-lived its reading.



Olive Kitteridge
What a fine, uneasy, complicated, fascinating studyof character and community.

Blame
This plot is just electrifying and spun through with lovely,
richly nuanced writing.


Brooklyn Calm, knowing, subtle, yet oddly captivating storytelling.



The Writing Class
I read laughing and wincing with recognition at this whodunit set in a writing workshop.






As for myself, I have a new novel, Birds of Paradise coming out in fall of 2011 from W.W. Norton. This one is set in Miami and combines a family mystery with touches of French pastry, the real estate market, and the ongoing, ineffable longing for home.

No comments: