Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Hank's "To Read" List For The First Part of Summer

Hank's headed for some vacation soon (lucky dog), and inquiring bloggers wanted to know what he was going to read with all that time (it's always a given the TCers read, vacation, sick, fair days and not so fair days).  And understand that book store employees have access to advance copies of books, so some of these won't be out for a bit, but we still decided to tease you with "what's to come".  Here's his list and comments:
 
How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny
 
Wish I'd given her a try sooner, and read her mysteries in order, but oh well, instead I'm swinging back & forth in time in the small town of Three Pines, and surrounding parts of Quebec. I recently read A Trick of the Light, and was happy to pounce on an advance copy of her new book, due August 27th. 

Joyland by Stephen King (coming out June 4, 2013)
 
I figure his second book published by Random House's Hard Case Crime line will tide me over until fall's publication of Doctor Sleep (coming out 9/24/13) which I'm even more curious about. 

The Demonologist, by Andrew Pyper (out now)
 
A co-worker's recommendation piqued my interest in this book. I plan to check it out. 

 
 
 
 

A Storm of Swords, George R.R. Martin
 
It wasn't until HBO's adaptation made A Game of Thrones an even bigger deal that I decided to bump it to the top of my stacks, and see just what the big deal was all about. Around that time, a friend of mine let me know that she was dying. She'd enjoyed the books and mentioned her hope to reread them. Well, the cancer was an especially aggressive sort, and she can't have had time to finish even the first one before going to hospice care. I liked the first two, and intend to continue reading the series as a way of honoring and remembering her. 


No comments: