Thursday, January 7, 2010


The Irresistible Henry House by Lisa Grunwald
Due in March 2010, click the link to preorder
reviewed by Jackie Blem

I am utterly captivated with this book because it's premise is SO fascinating, especially since it's based in historical fact. Apparently, from the 1920s to the 1960s, there were collegiate level home economics classes that involved rotations in a 'practice house' taking care of a real live 'practice baby'. Orphanages literally "loaned" babies to these college programs for roughly two years per baby, and several women worked weekly rotations being in charge. If you don't believe me, check out Cornell's photo gallery of some of these women and the babies. The whole program was actually quite brilliant, since it was a quiet way of teaching women high level physics, mathematics, mechanics, economics etc. under the guise of letting them earn their MRS degrees (example: one project was to dismantle and then reassemble a refrigerator). Grunwald takes us into that world, with a stern proctor named Martha, an unusually charming orphan named Henry and his 6 practice mothers. The book follows Henry from 3 months old to roughly 25 years old and shows what might have happened to a boy raised in such a way. Grunwald carefully weaves in actual psychological studies done on real "practice babies" as well as extremely clever character development of her own, generously spiced with the cultural details of the changes that happened throughout the
1950s and 60s to create a truly absorbing story. You've never read a book like this one.
I guarantee it.

2 comments:

Jill said...

That's a fabulous review! Enough to sway me and look for it when it comes out later this winter. Cool premise for the book. It made me flash back to my own home-economics classes, way back in my teen years. We had to carry around a 10 lb sack of flour for a week!

Cheers, Jill
www.jilledmondson.com

Jackie said...

I had to take my hardboiled egg baby to my senior awards banquet because I couldn't get a sitter! lol

I'm glad you liked the review--I just can't tell you how much this book grabbed at me. Google "Cornell practice babies" and you'll see the picture that inspired the book as well as several more.

I'm not sure of the exact publishing date in March, but I'm seeing the Random House rep next week and will find out and post it here.