Monday, August 18, 2008

Jackie's Lingering Creepies


I was writing a review on another site of Edward Levy's 1980's book The Beast Within , one of the creepiest books of all times and has been the stuff of nightmares for me for years (the traveling salesman chained in the basement by a madman, the cheating wife's corpse fed to him, the inevitable escape and reign of terror)--the story lingers still. Writing about that long ago read but vividly remembered book made me think of other books that have given me "the lingering creeps". Here's my list so far:

It by Stephen King (I didn't have a problem with clowns until this book, and now all the painted faces at something as different as Cirque du Soleil make every hair on my body stick up!)

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (I actually go out of my way to NOT work the nights when Ellis is signing at the store--dark and crazy things live in that man's head and I just don't want to be anywhere near him.)

The Monkey's Paw by W.W. Jacobs (Made me afraid of the knock on the door!)

Hannibal by Thomas Harris (the dining scene!)

Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris (the soup!)

(Interestingly, Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon, both creepy in their own right, do not bother me nearly as much so they don't make the list!)

Are You In The House Alone? by Richard Peck The terror of being stalked with no one believing you--and this is a young adult novel!

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin (the conception scene especially) Published in 1967 and STILL creeping people out!

I'm sure I could go on--I've read plenty of horror in my time. But I really want to hear from others. Please comment and add your "lingering creepies"--Halloween isn't THAT far away you know! waaahaaahaaaa!

No comments: