Wednesday, March 11, 2015

"Life or Death is a nerve-shredding thriller with the heart and soul so often missing from lesser crime and suspense novels. I couldn't stop reading, yet I didn't want Audie's story to end. Robotham is an absolute master."~Stephen King

http://bit.ly/1BT6Zk3
Why would a man serving a long prison sentence escape the day before he's due to be released?
 
Audie Palmer has spent ten years in a Texas prison after pleading guilty to a robbery in which four people died and seven million dollars went missing. During that time he has suffered repeated beatings, stabbings and threats by inmates and guards, all desperate to answer the same question: where's the money?
 
On the day before Audie is due to be released, he suddenly vanishes. Now everybody is searching for him - the police, FBI, gangsters and other powerful figures - but Audie isn't running to save his own life. Instead, he's trying to save someone else's.

Michael Robotham has created the ultimate underdog hero, an honorable criminal shrouded in mystery and ready to lead readers on a remarkable chase.
 
A note from the author:
A letter from Michael
"Dear readers,

It is ten years since my first novel The Suspect was published – a book that changed my life because it allowed me to become a full time writer. Since then I’ve produced a book a year, hoping to make each one better than the last.

Now I’m releasing Life or Death, a story that I’ve nurtured and turned over in my mind for more than twenty years – ever since I read a newspaper account of a man who had a served a long prison sentence, but escaped the day before he was due to be released.

Why, I asked myself, what could possibly be the reason?

It took me years to come up with an answer and even longer before I felt I had the skills to tell the story properly. I needed to practice. I needed to learn. I needed to get better.

That’s why I’m so excited about Life or Death. It’s a love story and a prison story and a heart-stopping account of one man’s refusal to surrender. More importantly, it’s the book that I was meant to write.

Best wishes,
Michael Robotham"
 
 

1 comment:

San Antonio Damage Hail Claims said...

When one of my favorite authors recommends a book, it almost immediately goes on my Kindle. Although I have read and enjoyed this author before, I thought this book was his best. It was not a book I would read with one eye on the TV, but on a quiet afternoon when the house was empty. I also found myself reading it on my iPhone Kindle app while waiting in the Dr.'s office. I am looking forward to more books by this author.