Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Miki Loved Curling Up With This Book


Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she’s a girl who doesn’t believe in second chances, a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom’s diner and obsessing over what might have been.
  
So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life—and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done.

It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last....


Miki says:

"Every winter, I have the same problem.  What to read?  I have all of this time inside with a comfy old chair my grandpa gave me, but never seem to find the right book for the occasion.  When it is cold and snowy outside, I want winter themed book, a creamy cup of coffee, and a thick blanket.  I want escape into a cozy world that is not mine.  Books about summer or the beach just don't do it for me in the winter.  Luckily, Sarah Ockler's newest novel landed on my desk between snowstorms.  I could not wait to get home, kick off my snow boots, and get to reading.  Finally, my ideal winter reading had arrived.

I am happy to report that Ockler did not disappoint.  She delivered a novel full of winter delight.  Her characters are talented, smart, and mature.  Although the main characters are strong and easy to fall in love with, the smaller characters can steal your heart just as easily.  Hudson's little brother, known as Bug, is just such a wonderful addition to the story.  Every time he appeared in the story, I found myself smiling.  If anyone knows a kid like this one, please let me know.  I must adopt and/or babysit him.  

The storyline was had the typical love, lust, friendships, and problems, but somehow it is still original and unpredictable.  Like the characters, the story is complicated but at times, seems so simple.  Ockler really has a way of balancing the elements of her writing. 

Lastly, if the hockey boys, ice skating, and story don't hook you in, the chapter titles will.  Every chapter begins with heavenly cupcake ideas.  I can't wait to try some of them out.  Yum!"

No comments: