Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Postcard from Molly

Our teenage YA Guest Blogger is on vacation, but she hasn't stopped reading. Here are some books she couldn't wait to tell us about:

Bruiser
Tennyson: "Don't get me started on the Bruiser. He was voted "Most Likely to Get the Death Penalty" by the entire school. He's the kid no one knows, no one talks to, and everyone hears disturbing rumors about. So why is my sister, BrontË, dating him? One of these days she's going to take in the wrong stray dog, and it's not going to end well."

BrontË: "My brother has no right to talk about Brewster that way—no right to threaten him. There's a reason why Brewster can't have friends—why he can't care about too many people. Because when he cares about you, things start to happen. Impossible things that can't be explained. I know, because they're happening to me."

Award-winning author Neal Shusterman has crafted a chilling and unforgettable novel about the power of unconditional friendship, the complex gear workings of a family, and the sacrifices we endure for the people we love.

Molly says:"Realization pulsed through me when I read this mind shattering book. Though this book is about the impossible, I read a book about real feelings, and very possible things to do with those feelings. I realized as I picked my way through Bruiser that people do give off the hurt and pain that they themselves don't want to deal with, even if they do not know it- just as many in this book did. Bruiser is an eye opener."

Sisters Red
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

Molly says: "This book was amazing! I couldn't stop reading it and I didn't want it to end. The story of the sisters in this book, their loves, their differences, and their fight drove them as well as me. This book is a lesson to the girls and to its readers, a lesson that must learned in order to achieve happiness and contentment. They must follow their hearts and do what's right. I loved this book and hope I will have some free time to read it again."

No comments: