Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister


I have been in love with this book for more than a year now. This is a glorious book. It's about food as a touchstone and a means for memory, community, nurturing, healing, loving, seduction, sustenance, pleasure, joy, beginning, endings--life. It is the story of a cooking class that learns far more than culinary skills at the hands of a chef whose wisdom is not limited to food stuffs. The language is lush and decadent, rolling off the page and into your mind like a drug. I could taste, smell, see and feel everything as if I was indeed standing at the prep table myself. This is Bauermeister's first novel, but the power and magic in her prose tells me that it is far from her last.

Fans of Harris's Chocolat will be crazy about this book, but I would recommend it for foodies of any sort, and really just about anyone--this book casts a powerful spell that makes you see, feel and taste the world, even your memories, in a new, deep, consuming way.

Erica is going to be speaking TONIGHT, at 7:30, at our Highlands Ranch store. I'll be there, and hopefully so will YOU!

--Jackie

And, as a special bonus, you can check out some of the recipes from the book at her website:
http://www.ericabauermeister.com/recipes.html

No comments: